Saturday, June 03, 2006

Crayon Renderer Test

Here is my current pet project. I wanted to see if I could make a game that looked like it was drawn by a 6 year old, essentially a crayon renderer. I think my test case turned out pretty well.

The challeng is to keep the crayon lines the same size on screen regardless of the distance from the object. At first I though I could trick the mip mapping hardware to do this for me using a mip map that kept the stroke size the same at all mip levels ( a normal mip map would shrink the image). But it turns out doing this generates artifacts on places where the polygons are at steep angles to the camera and causes severe tiling in the distance.. The step angle bug makes the line width of the crayons huge where the polygons are end on with the viewer.

I think I came up with a fairly good solution that was even more memory efficient, although it took two extra texture look ups. I loaded my textures without mip maps and did the mip mapping myself based on only distance. My next mip map down was the same texture as the first instead of using a mip chain, only the texture coordinates needed to be updated to make the texture look twice as large.

Also supported is lighting although it is kind of hard to tell in my test shots.






1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! You got a website! Now I can link to your website from my website! Isn't it great how that works?

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home