Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Improved shading model

I have not worked on this a whole lot due to a book. My wife finished The Da Vinci Code and I figured I see if I liked it by reading the first few pages….

Anyway I did at least get something done, I added improved shading to the crayon shader. It can now handle 2 different crayon colors and map them to different light intensities. This gives you the look of layered passes of different colored crayons to generate the shadows. If my sample texture were a little less black and white you could probably see the effect better, but it is still much improved.

I also simplified the texture format to only need two textures to do the eight intensity channels for the crayon. Each channel stores a different intensity now so I can get 4 per texture.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to see this in action today (finally) and let me tell you, it's very distinctive looking. When those green balls move...hmm...imagine the "puff clouds" from Zelda: The Wind Waker, but in real 3D instead of a bunch of billboards. It's pretty awesome already, and will probably only get awesomer.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home